São Julião Cross, classified as a National Monument, is located in São Gregório, Melgaço. The 16th century granite cross of São Julião is located in the churchyard of the chapel of São Julião.
The first documentary reference to this Romanesque-Gothic religious building dates back to the first half of the 13th century. In this place, there was an old “gafaria” (the name given to establishments to which contaminated people were sent, in order to contain the contamination) that already functioned as a place of reception in the medieval paths of Alto Minho.
São Julião Cross would be, initially, located in the fairgrounds of the vila, being later, in 1867, transferred to this place.
The monument deserves special attention, not only for its quality and skillful execution but also for the figures carved at the top of it: a Latin cross, with arms topped by round-cut finials, where a Christ topped by an inscribed tablet (INRI) stands out, to which a Pietá is opposed.